Pages

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Was tonight real life?

"I'm still sweating. Curse you for making me love sports from such a young age! I blame these emotions on you."

This is the text message I sent my dad about 45 minutes after the fish won their first game of the series against Wichita.

Tonight the Winnipeg Goldeyes started off their championship series against the Wichita Wingnuts. Best of five series - game one in the bag.

I paced- literally from the 5th inning till the end of the game, which in the end totaled 10 innings because we'd tied it up in the 8th and couldn't score a runn in the 9th.

The antsy antics I have when watching sports have been inherited from my father. He is the same way. When he coaches hockey he paces on the bench, when he watches at home he sometimes has to leave the room. I'm the same way, it's clear I've been built from the same mold as my dad.

Butterflies were in my stomach all day leading up to the first pitch. And as soon as the 1st inning was underway there was no way I was gonna be feeling any better. The butterflies progressed from a light, nervous feeling in the tummy to a large stomach-sized lump in my throat. At one point I honestly thought I would either throw up or pass out. My stress level was beyond capacity tonight and I was afraid my superstition of wearing the same outfit as I did our last win was not working.

When Canizares connected with the ball in the bottom of the 10th inning tonight there was no doubt that baby was gone as soon as you heard it.

Seriously though, a freakin walk-off homerun? Why do people insist on doing this to me. I nearly died from excitement when that happened. I jumped and cheered and hugged everyone in the tunnel. That moment was more than excitement, happiness, or bliss. That moment was a long time coming.

I seriously can't imagine wanting to be anywhere else than behind this team and I wouldn't have it any other way. You grow to respect these boys not only as fantastic athletes, but as genuine people. They play the game because they love it. And that in itself makes being a part of this franchise so rewarding- knowing everyone that's a part of it is a part of it because they want to be.

This place has become my home and these people have become my family and without my dad instilling such a strong passion for sports in me at a young age I wouldn't be this way.

Most people say you can't choose your family. But I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say!