Pages

Monday 17 September 2012

When the Bombers are duds and the Jets can't fly- we go Fishing.

Five years. I've been working with the Winnipeg Goldeyes for five seasons and they have finally won me a ring.

Me, Laura, Andrew, Janessa.
For the franchise itself, the wait has been 18 years since they last brought home the trophy.

The team was founded in 1994 and that year the Goldeyes won it all. It hasn't been since then that they've been able to do it.

Time and time again we've been favored to win it all and time and time again something has gone wrong and ruined our chances of it happening.

Paige, Me, Laura, Janessa. Standing at the park after the Fish
swept Wichita. We were on cloud 9.
This year my boys went in to playoffs as the underdogs. They barely clinched playoff contention by snagging the wildcard spot. They played Fargo first round and many people had doubts they'd be able to win even one game against the Redhawks- but we swept them.

They defied the odds and took everyone by surprised when they did it a second time against the Wichita Wingnuts. They went a perfect 6-0 in the post season. That is ridic.

As we listened to the third game of the championship series on the radio in my living room, me and the girls came to a conclusion:

"I swear if we don't make the front page of both papers (sun and fp) tomorrow we are marching down there to start a riot."

But it's fair to say that right? When the Bombers lose game after game by ridiculous amounts like 50+ points they make the front page. And even though hockey season won't be with us this year the same could be said about our beloved Jets if that ever happened.

So correct me if I'm wrong- but displaying a losing team on the front page and not displaying a winning team is just stupid.

Yes I said stupid.

Thankfully no riot was needed because my boys were on the front page of both of the papers and on the front pages of the sports section.

Media was in full force at the victory party last night and everyone wanted to get a piece of the glory.

The loyalty and passion behind the team this year was something I haven't seen this strong with this franchise since I've been a part of it.

And finally thanks to their win, they can be recognized as the talented franchise they are. Kinda sad it took this long for the papers to realize that the Fish are a team worth writing about. But all the same, glad to see my boys getting the positive media attention they deserve.

The five year wait was well worth it, just don't want to have to wait that long again.

I'm ok with it happening again next year.

Hats off to the Winnipeg Goldeyes , 2012 American Association Champions.

I've had a taste of what winning is like. And I want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say!