Pages

Tuesday 15 January 2013

To J, with love.

I fell in love with journalism again.

I think I've said this before. For real though. I did.

Tonight I volunteered at the Creative Communications info night at the college. When all the keen first year students had taken their tours away I was lucky enough to take three stragglers on my own tour.

As I walked around the campus with them filling them in on things about the program and building I began to realize,

"Dude, I am talking a lot."

But then I realized,

"Dude, I love storytelling."

I love being able to paint a picture in someone's head. I love being able to give people information. I love being able to be a resource to someone I don't even know.

I understand I may not be the best journalist in the world- in my class even. I could quite possibly be the worst journalist in the world or in my class. But I do know that there is always room and opportunity to grow. No matter where you are in life and no matter what you may be doing- you can always learn from your experiences.

I saw the excitement in these hopeful future CreComm students. It made me excited to see them excited about something I was telling them about.

Storytelling is so rewarding when people pay attention.

Somedays (most days... Everyday) I feel like I'm rambling and nobody is listening. I think, "this isn't for me." And then BAM someone looks intrigued by my story and I'm sucked in all over again.

This relationship is rocky, but what relationship isn't at the beginning? It'll be smooth sailing eventually. I just have to tough it out.

1 comment:

  1. Had a somewhat similar experience talking to people during the PR presentation. Nothing like pausing to reflect on almost two years of hard work and accomplishment to fire the engine up again :)

    ReplyDelete

Have your say!